[Radio-announce] This Saturday on ACB Radio Treasure Trove: How Did They Begin?

Bruce Toews trove at acbradio.org
Sun Mar 15 18:35:28 EDT 2015

One thing that fascinates many fans of TV shows is the audition show. These
previously unreleased episodes often get packed in as DVD extras. There were
no fewer than three audition shows for Three's Company; the audition for the
Flintstones was about two minutes long. And so on.

Radio had its audition shows too. New show ideas didn't just magically
appear on the air, they had to be sold to networks and sponsors. Thankfully,
several of these audition shows survive to this day.

On Saturday, March 21, ACB Radio Treasure Trove will be featuring some of
these audition programs, as well as interesting first episodes of other
programs. In some cases, such as The Halls of Ivy, Our Miss Brooks, and
Frontier Gentleman, the actor or atress playing the lead role wasn't even
the same person who would finally get that role when the show came to air.
Other audition shows, such as the Great Gildersleeve, were actually quite
similar to the first show that would actually hit the air. And fans of shows
like The Jack Benny Program and Fibber McGee and Molly may be surprised to
hear how different the very first broadcast sounded from the show that
eventually became famous.

Trove will be airing six hours, twelve episodes, of programs, starting
Saturday morning at midnight Eastern time. This six-hour block will air four
times, so you'll have plenty of opportunities to hear your favorite show.
The schedule, which we hope will be on the Website soon, will be as follows.