[Radio-announce] Kicking off the Fall Affiliate Convention Streaming Season

Larry Turnbull larry at acbradio.org
Mon Sep 21 18:19:27 EDT 2015

Good evening all:

Fall is closing in and that means several ACB affiliates will be holding
their conventions over the next couple of months.

As you know many of them will be streaming on ACB Radio Live Event.

We begin coverage this weekend with the Michigan Council of the Blind and
Visually Impaired.

MCBVI promises to have an information packed weekend with many presentations
for us all.

Their schedule follows:

Please note all times listed are in the eastern time zone.

Michigan Council of the Blind and Visually Impaired
42nd Annual Convention
"Believe In The Dream! What's Next For You?"
Broadcast Schedule
ACB Radio Live Event

Friday September 25

6:30pm Broadcast starts
7:00pm Convention opens
Announcements
National anthem, Deidre Weston-Davis
Invocation, Joe Sibley
Welcome from John Jarzyna, president
First reading of bylaw changes
Election committee, Karla Fields
Reading and voting on resolutions
Vanda Pharmaceuticals will talk about their research on the problem of non
24 sleep disorder among the totally blind and the solutions they have
developed to assist with that problem
Annual auction, Kyle Austin

Saturday September 26

Saturday morning session:
Note: program schedule may vary slightly

9:00am - 9:30 Announcements, reading and voting on resolutions

9:30 - 10:00 A presentation by the MCBVI prescription access committee about
current options to monitor your own prescription medications independently,
leading into a presentation by Envision America, makers of the ScripTalk and
other great products. Envision America promises a big announcement at our
convention.

10:00 - 10:30 Doug Koster, an MCBVI member, will talk about his journey
losing his vision while building a successful insurance agency. Doug has an
important message about acceptance of vision loss, and seeking resources to
be successful.

10:30 - 10:45 Break

10:45 - 11:15 Scott Lacey lost his vision in two weeks but that didn't slow
him down. Scott began running and has now run in multiple marathons and will
complete his first iron man triathlon in September. Scott is a graduate
student at Western Michigan University and is a mentor to many facing vision
loss.

11:15 - 12:00 Dr. Lylas Mogk is the director of vision rehabilitation
services at the Henry Ford Medical System, and is the chair of the Michigan
Commission for Blind Persons, the advisory commission that was charged by
the governor to evaluate the programs of the Bureau of Services for Blind
Persons (BSBP). She will talk about the report issued by the commission that
was created over two years, the reactions to the report and what is
currently taking place to make changes to the agency.

2:00 - 3:00 Paul Eckland from the Kalamazoo Disability Network will
speak about the ADA and Transit regulations.  Transit is one of the most
important features of following your dreams and Paul will present and offer
an opportunity for questions.

3:00 - 3:30 Therese Andrews is a cancer survivor who will share her story
about
overcoming cancer.  Many of us will be faced with cancer in our lives and
Therese will give her perspective on how to be an overcomer and continue
with our life goals.

3:30 - 4:00 Sue Fluri is an MCBVI member and a registered dietitian.
Decisions you make about nutrition directly affect your health and your
ability to reach for your dreams!

6:00 - 7:00 Social hour with live entertainment by Tyrone Hamilton and
friends.

7:00 Annual banquet featuring keynote by Katie Frederick Executive Director
of ACB of Ohio and a member of the Board of Directors of the American
Council of the Blind.

You can reach ACB Radio Live event by going to http://acbradio.org/live or
by dialing 605-475-8130 and selecting option 6.

I will be posting this schedule on the ACB Radio website for your reference.

Next weekend we will have a double feature for your listening pleasure!
More on that next week.

Enjoy!

Larry Turnbull
ACB Radio Managing Director and ACB Server Administrator