[Radio-announce] This week on Main Menu for February 12, 2016

Jason Castonguay jcast77 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 15:39:31 EST 2016

Greetings, listeners!

Tonight, we are featuring image recognition apps. Remember the interview we had with Stephanie Cowper of Bespecular <http://www.bespecular.com/> a few months ago? Well, Randy and I were invited to the beta team of the Bespecular app a couple of days ago. The timing couldn’t have been better as we received submissions demonstrating other image recognition apps. Bespecular, for those who may not remember, is an iOS app which allows the user to take a photo or use an existing photo in the photo library, record a question along with it, and submit it for someone sighted to have a look at it and report back based on your question. Android users need not fret — the app is coming to you soon.

Next, Jenine Stanley is back with two demonstrations — the first is of the Aipoly Vision app <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/aipoly-vision/id1069166437?mt=8>. This app uses artificial intelligence to recognize images. The second app is called ThirdEye <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thirdeye-technologies-inc./id1063937454?mt=8> and also uses artificial intelligence to recognize and inform you as to what it thinks the image is.

To end the show, Randy and I talk about what happened to VizWiz <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/vizwiz/id439686043?mt=8> and how Bespecular feels similar in function with VizWiz. Being on the beta team, it is nice to be able to provide helpful feedback and suggestions that hopefully turn into improvements and new features for the app.

We also touch on what is coming in the next few shows.

You can listen to Main Menu beginning every Friday night at 9PM Eastern on ACB Radio Mainstream <http://www.acbradio.org/mainstream> or using the ACB Link app <https://geo.itunes.apple.com/us/app/acb-link/id1023962546?mt=8>. If one of those options doesn’t work for you, you can call in using your phone:

(605) 475-8130

The show repeats every four hours thereafter until Saturday at 5PM Eastern. A podcast of the show becomes available after that.

Thank you for listening and enjoy this week’s Main Menu!

-Jason