[Radio-announce] Coming up on Main Menu for the 25th of March, 2016

Jason Castonguay jcast77 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 16:51:31 EDT 2016

Hey there, Main Menu listeners!

This is a smackdown of a show as Jenine continues in her series, beginning with a free app smackdown. In this segment, she uses TapTapSee <http://www.taptapseeapp.com/> and ThirdEye <http://thirdeyeglass.com/> to scan and read the same bits of information. The winner may surprise you.

Next, guest Dan Kysor joins us to demonstrate the use of Be My Eyes <http://www.bemyeyes.org/>, an app which pairs a visually-impaired person with a sighted volunteer for object recognition and uses the camera and mic to facilitate live conversation. It has been out for some time now and has proven to be helpful to many. You will see how helpful it is to receive live feedback, for example, in orienting the camera or object such as a can’s label, so that it can be easily read by the sighted party.

Finally, Jenine returns to continue with the paid app smackdown. Here, she uses KNFB Reader <http://www.knfbreader.com/> and Prizmo <http://www.creaceed.com/iprizmo> to scan preselected bits of material.

We on the Main Menu Team realize that Apple gets a lot of coverage. It is nice to see such great accessibility on mobile devices that end up providing invaluable assistance to so many. We have a lot of great ideas and brainstorming going on, thanks to feedback from listeners, to ensure that there is material coming in regarding products and services from other companies, as well.

Main Menu is aired every Friday night beginning at 9PM Eastern on ACB Radio Mainstream <http://acbradio.org/mainstream>. It repeats every four hours until 5PM the following day and is also available as a podcast. You can listen via your PC, use the ACB Link iOS app <http://acb.org/ACB-Link>, or grab it with your favorite podcast client. If you’d rather dial in by phone, it’s easy. Call:

(605) 475-8130

at air time and use option 1.

Thank you and enjoy the show!

--