[Radio-announce] FYI: Stepping away from broadcasting on ACB Radio

Debbie Hazelton iam at debbiehazelton.com
Wed Nov 15 14:31:18 EST 2017

Hello Everyone,

It's a friendly move. It's a definite move.

After ten plus years of broadcasting with ACB Radio, it is time to move on.
While I will still remain with the project occasionally working in the
background, I'm ready to spread my wings into new territory. I promised this
years ago when leaving Team-FM. Since that time, I got bogged down with one
thing or another that kept me where I've been, pretty much tethered to
shows. I've also been heavily involved with a team of 24-7 care-giving, and
am looking forward to some unscheduled time to both rest and create more
freely. Though my first radio experiences were not with ACB Radio, I'm
grateful for the experiences in growing as a broadcaster, producer and all
that I learned I could accomplish in my previous role as assistant managing
director. Today, I remain a member of a couple of ACB affiliates. My heart
is still with what ACB represents and I'm proud of many of its
accomplishments.

Affective now, all of my shows are moving to a retirement status. It's
entirely possible that they will rise up elsewhere, and even be back in
circulation here  through another avenue. Feel free to sign up for my
Announce List by sending a blank email to:

Announce-request at debbiehazelton.com
<mailto:Announce-request at debbiehazelton.com>

The word subscribe in the subject line.

Many thanks first, to ACB for continuing to support and help grow ACB Radio.
It still has tons of potential. When I hear things like state and national
conventions streamed, World Blind Union I am repeatedly moved just to
consider how even one person who is blind/visually impaired can in any given
moment feel less isolated, greater self-esteem while finding practical
resources by which to move ahead and gain greater freedom. The Interactive
stream remains important to bring community  and social interaction. ACB
Radio is huge! May it continue to grow in wonderful ways. I am always
willing to help brainstorm more that it can become and especially appreciate
Jeff Bishop as a friend and colleague as we have, and will continue to share
many brainstorming ideas together. Jeff is doing what I'm now doing,
spreading his wings to do more, bring more, all that go a long way to
enhance ACB and our lives as people who are blind/visually impaired.

I also want to publicly thank Larry Turnbull. This guy starts working every
day at 5:00 A.M. and rarely quits his attentiveness to so much detail, to
run ACB Radio with its seven streams and simultaneously executing his role
as ACB server administrator, overseeing all of ACB lists as well as
providing ongoing and on-call support to ACB office staff in both national
offices.  Larry has trained, hand-held many new broadcasters, spending hours
of time to tutor and guide. It would probably take six people to replace him
in all that he currently does today, much of which remains in the background
behind the scenes.

Thank you, listeners, who have tuned in, enjoyed any of my shows, who have
been guests and dared to openly share so much of your lives. Without you,
who listen and participate whether on-air or through interactive
discussions, there would be no place, no avenue for radio. And thank you
Randy Rusnak, for being The Big R. We had fun cooking up lots of food and
craziness, passing along many tips and resources.

Truthfully, I'd like to see many more aspiring broadcasters spend time on
ACB Radio, and take the initiative to grow on and up into new possibilities.
In my opinion, this could do more to both grow ACB and ACB Radio. This was
part of what I hoped would happen through the vehicle and program of
Affiliates In Action. Perhaps it will still do so one day. It's a huge
endeavor.

In any event, onward we go, together and separately. I apologize for any
disappointment or sadness. Sometimes we have to stretch to grow. Thank you
for your support, interest and understanding.