From the ACB Board of Publications
Attention ACB Candidates and All ACB Members:
As members of the American Council of the Blind, we are responsible for electing a slate of individuals who will provide leadership in our organization as officers, members of the ACB Board of Directors, and members of the ACB Board of Publications, in coming months and years. Because ACB was unable to conduct elections at our virtual convention in 2020, we will be electing all five ACB officers, five members of the ACB Board of Directors and all three elected members of the Board of Publications at this year’s ACB convention. With so many elections underway during the week of convention, there are likely to be a few vacated positions up for grabs, as well.
Here are important dates to remember with an explanation following:
- May 31: Submissions for ACB Candidates’ web page are due.
- June 15: ACB Candidates’ web pages are posted and announced. Candidates radio promos (optional) are due.
- June 29: (5th Tuesday) first Candidates’ Forum on Zoom and ACB Radio.
- June 30: (5th Wednesday) second Candidates’ Forum on Zoom and ACB Radio.
ACB Candidates’ Web Page
If you plan to run for any ACB elected position, the ACB Candidates’ Web Page is where you can introduce yourself, post links to your social media pages, and provide responses to the following questions. (Please note: Your response to each question will be cut off at 300 words; the BOP will not edit your responses for spelling or grammar.)
Content of ACB Candidate’s Web Page
- Introduce yourself, indicate which position you seek, and explain why you wish to serve in this position.
- What do you consider to be your strongest contribution to ACB at either the national, state, special-interest affiliate, or local chapter level and why?
- What do you consider to be the most important challenge facing ACB? How will you work to address it?
Instructions for ACB Candidates’ Web Page Submissions
- You must be an ACB member in good standing.
- Submissions must be in hardcopy braille, hardcopy print, Word document, text file, or in the body of an email.
- Email electronic submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Candidates’ Page Submission” or mail print, braille, and electronic submissions on a thumb drive to: American Council of the Blind, Attn: Candidates’ Page, 1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311.
The deadline for all Candidates’ Page submissions is May 31, 2021 at 4 p.m. Eastern. Late submissions will NOT be accepted.
All candidates who submit information will also be invited to produce a promotional announcement to air on ACB Radio. Details will be shared as we receive your submission.
Meet the Candidates at ACB Candidates’ Forums
This year, because we expect so many candidates, the Board of Publications will be hosting two Candidates’ Forums. All candidates who post information to the ACB Candidates’ Web Page will be invited to participate in one of two ACB Candidates’ Forums to be held June 29 and 30 at 9:00 PM ET (6:00 PM PT) via Zoom, ACB Radio, YouTube, and Facebook Live. Join us at both sessions to meet the candidates, to ask questions and hear their responses. Both forums will be available as podcasts shortly after completion.
Please note: You must be registered as a candidate on the ACB Candidates’ Web Page to participate in the ACB Candidates’ Forum as a candidate.
Remember that every ACB member will be able to vote remotely during this year’s conference and convention. Participating in the Candidates’ Web Page and Candidates’ Forums is an effective way for candidates to reach out to our members, many of whom have joined ACB in just the last year. Likewise, reading the Candidates’ Pages and attending the Candidates’ Forums is a great way for members to get acquainted with and learn about our candidates.
We hope you will all take advantage of these opportunities to let our members get to know you better if you are one who intends to run for office, and to become well informed about all our candidates in advance of our elections. Let’s all help shape an even better future for our ACB!
If you have questions or need assistance, please contact Sharon Lovering in the national office or Deb Cook Lewis, BOP Chair, email@example.com.